Thursday, August 16, 2007

Guilted into writing, guilt, guilt and more guilt

I feel like I am supposed to write something since I haven't in a while! I am in SF, riding the Olmo, dealing with fog and dirtying the leg warmers that never get worn in Denver.

I used to think that my Olmo was as comfy of a ride as Tinkie - - oh so wrong!!! I rode the Berkeley Hills loop with Rafael last night. I thought we would go for a quick ride and HOLY... I had forgotten about this ride. A few points, the hills felt easier than I remembered, but it was longer than I remembered. We also encountered the ANGRIEST BEEEATCH in her big-ass diesel dually truck who I personally thought was going to shoot us. Where are we? The back-hills of Colorado? She passed us and swerved over the double yellow with on-coming traffic out in Briones. I flipped her off, I admit it. I shouldn't have, but HOLY SHIT, she was insane. I think it's some guy who's going to shoot me and I tell Rafael that since I was the flipper, I would go first. She does this slam on break/accelerate thing and starts screaming at the top of her totally CRAZED self that she's "SICK of you riding side by side!!!!!" and how much she hates cyclists. I dunno why, I tell her I am from a different country. I was embarrassed to be American, to be the same as this lunatic freak. She's a horseman, lives with horses, could be a kind and gentle woman, but you know... she's a freak. Rafael and I actually moved over when we heard her V-12 coming towards us. I guess we cannot dwell on this person's actions as she wasn't well and we were just having a great conversation about his new relationship and how he's working on sending a "parade of cool dudes" my way in Denver. Shhhherrrrrrr, Raf!

OK, this morning due to the 3000 feet of climbing with my skinny friend and his light bike, I spun out my legs to Marin and back. I rode down the backside of the Giro di SF course that I will be racing on Labor Day. The bad SF streets made my teeth hurt on the Olmo and I missed Tinkie terribly. Then the guilty feelings kicked in that I had once loved the Olmo so deeply. Is this normal to have bike guilt? Ever since moving to Colorado, the Olmo gets more love as I have come to the Bay Area three times and taken the Olmo to Le Meridian SF and raced the damn bike... but I think about how I would be better on Tinkie, how that pothole wouldn't hurt my lady bits as much on Tinkie...

Anyway... time for bed. I have to make a special trip to Berkeley tomorrow to return the Olmo to my mom's house. That's the only issue I have these days with storing the bike in Berkeley. I would leave it in the City for Labor Day weekend but dumb-ass Caltrans is closing the Bay Bridge in both directions and it's going to make my weekend difficult... so staying in the E to the B and therefore, the bike need to stay there, too. Riveting, hun?

PS slowly getting over my couch violation. Guy texted me... didn't respond.

7 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, August 17, 2007 , Blogger Chris said...

Just visiting CA or did you move back?

You would think that horse peeps are friendly, but I have found the opposite. Particulary when you have to share the trails with them mtbing. They feel a sense of righteousness for some reason. Of course there are exceptions to this rule and what I said is a complete generalization based solely on my experience.

 
At 3:24 PM, August 17, 2007 , Blogger Velovera said...

i am purely visiting but the Olmo lives with my parents. Now I also have my older pneumo here and soon, I will leave shoes, too!

 
At 5:36 PM, August 17, 2007 , Blogger Emily said...

I had no idea you were back in town! How long are you here?

 
At 5:37 PM, August 17, 2007 , Blogger Emily said...

Oh, and are you racing this weekend?

 
At 7:25 PM, August 20, 2007 , Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

couch-boy texted you, eh? what did he say? maybe you should write back just for kicks.

 
At 12:41 PM, August 21, 2007 , Blogger EB said...

Why didn't you come out for Dunnigan? That race had your name written all over it...

 
At 9:55 PM, August 21, 2007 , Blogger Velovera said...

i came back to denver for the weekend and then flew to LA on a very late flight on sunday night. i wanted to be home... scary! i also tried a crit at 9300 feet. ick.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home