Sunday, April 22, 2007

Wind-tee Wente


I missed the road race as I needed to go things around the house and well, I wasn't too bummed as it is such a hard race. I was very sad to find out that Anny Henry was involved in a very bad crash. I heard from her husband Russ that she is healing well. Breego was also taken out early in her race and Emily was caught up in the Anny crash. Bummer. Glad everyone is in one piece.

Also, poor Sam was in a serious crash coming down from Pantoll last Sunday. She swerved to miss a car that came out onto Hwy 1 without seeing her. She landed on her head... thank god for the helmet!! She's banged up but alive and healing. I am never happy to hear about crashes, but it is always good news when people are OK and healing.

I spent Saturday breathing in paint fumes. I learned a valuable lesson: it takes three times the amount of paint to cover a darker color. NOTED. My hands were so tired from holding the roller that I could barely cut the yummy grilled asparagus I had for dinner. I had no problem eating the pizza. Recommendation: Pizetta 211. YUMMERS.
Here's Forrest and the youngest member of Clif cycling, Gunnar.

Anywho... the race. There is a reason there are windfarms in Livermore. Yikes. The race was pretty fast and everyone was trying as hard as possible to not be in the wind. The largest team present was Proman and I knew that with their strength and numbers, they would get a successful break going: and they did! But wait... who's in that break with them? Oh, it's SUPER VIRGINIA! Or Drink of Water as I like to call her. I was so proud, yet again. I may be slow and fat these days, but at least I have a kick ass teamie who makes me proud.

Speaking of slow and fat, how I pulled out fourth place, I do not know. I always feel like a cheater when this happens as really, I was sucking most of the race, but decided to fight for a very good place in the end. I followed Illiana's wheel and she was on Proman's wheels. The finish was a very long straight into the awful wind. I got left in the wind for a moment and on the bot dots and moved over. Karla told me that she had to slow when I did that. I felt awful, but I was trying to get out of the wind.

Virgil got 2nd to Emily Zell. I got a bottle of wine and a t-shirt.

3 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, April 23, 2007 , Blogger EB said...

This might sound bitchy, but if someone has to slow down because you moved over a little (ie within a foot during a sprint), that is their problem. If you carve a really wide line, well, that's different, but if you're just moving over they should have left themselves enough space to react.

Virginia's going great guns this year. I was really trying to get in a break, but couldn't hold on to that second one after being out for a lap in the first. Good for her! And good for you!

 
At 2:56 PM, April 23, 2007 , Blogger Velovera said...

Thanks for the kudeos, darlin! Was nice to see you in a race and get to race with you... it's been a while! You are also strong. I saw you in the final sprint. GRRRRRRRRRR

 
At 8:49 AM, April 24, 2007 , Blogger Me said...

dude - what is with all the props to me?! you are tooo tooo kind! I love having you as my teamie - its so fun racing with you :) sad you will be leaving me for other parts....
p.s. love the pic!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home