Sunday, June 03, 2007

On the way home from a nice bike ride . . .


My crank arm fell off. Yes, off. Now, I know that it has been self-loosening a little these days and I got a new bottom bracket as that is what we thought would fix ol' Tink, but it didn't. I was having trouble getting my bike into the big ring and it sounded awful. I freak when my bike isn't running 100% and well, I thought it was the cables or a new chain.


Today I road to the top of Lookout Mountain. Nice views, decent climb. At the top of the mountain, I met two guys who were heading back to Denver. I thought it would be nice to have a couple of people to ride with... thank god! About 4 miles from home, my left pedal started to feel really wobbly and then all of a sudden, it was really really wobbly! I yelled out to the guys and they turned around in time to essentially catch me. My left crank was attached to my shoe and hanging.

Roland, the South African offered to push me all the way home. My arms were really sore and my saddle doesn't feel so dandy when I have my feet in the pedals, so to just sit on the saddle and have my legs kicked up behind me was really odd. It is also pretty wobbly when you get over 20 mph. The other guy, Kevin helped in two ways, he would run and push me at the stop lights and Roland would take over and then on the bigger hill, he also helped push.

Talk about adventures in Vera land!

This reminded me of when I moved to Geneva, I was out in Chamonix, mountain biking when a spring in my rear derailleur just gave out. The XTR setup was all of 10 months old. It was random. Adam at the Golden Bike Shop thinks I just have a bad crank set. He is going to call FSA and talk it over tomorrow. So this is where I freak out. The Olmo is still in San Francisco and I have but one road bike! I was ready to rent another one of their Felt's but Adam suggested that I put slicks on my cross bike or take his bolt for now and run his FSA crank set bolt with mine. That's very nice. I guess it is time to become better acquainted with my new cross bike.

Anyway... random! I think my bikes get homesick. I also owe Kevin and Roland a beer. They were troupers. I was really ready to call a taxi but they said that they would push and we would make it.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, June 05, 2007 , Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

are you living in Golden? that's where my friend lives. he climbs Lookout Mtn almost every weeknight -- a real fred (but cute) on a blue bianchi. his name is Daniel so if you see him say hello.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home