Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Starting to feel better but not forgetting

I did a stupid thing. I read the comments on SFGate regarding the accident thinking that it would be people like me sharing stories and commenting on the accident and drivers. Instead, the comments were full of assholes going off on cyclists and how we always run lights and stop signs and what not. It was disgusting.

This article was forwarded to me and it's amazing. I hope that more drivers read it as really, they have no idea how vulnerable we are. Just a few weeks ago, I was on a large group ride. The group was taking up the entire lane and there were about 5 cars behind. Me being slow, I was with the cars. Every time I tried to pass this one SUV jerk-off, he would swerve so I would be forced to abandon my attempt to pass him. I came around to his driver's side window and slammed my fist into it, he rolled down his window and I asked him "WXY 123 (license plate), why are you trying to kill me?" and I kept asking him, over and over. His girlfriend got all scared and he apologized. I just kept yelling and telling him what a jerk and unsafe driver he was. I don't think he had any idea. I think he was pissed off and then having fun at my expense. FUCKER.

Yesterday, I road to work as my car was in the shop. It was my first outside ride since I got the news about the accident. I have to admit, it made me scared and I looked at everyone as if they would hit me. I made it safely to work, but still had some odd thoughts as I locked up my bike. You never leave for a ride and think that you may never return. I put away my dirty laundry into the laundry room before I left yesterday thinking - - at least my parents won't see my dirty underwear when they come to pack up my stuff. That's a pretty awful thought to have when you are leaving to ride to work.

Be safe out there.

6 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, March 12, 2008 , Blogger Chris said...

That is a good article.

 
At 4:11 PM, March 13, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you know Jenni D?!?

 
At 6:46 PM, March 13, 2008 , Blogger Velovera said...

dude. Jenni Di is my bud! She joined my SF bike team and we drive matching cars. I was supposed to meet you sometime ago when I was here for work in Aug 06.

 
At 1:27 PM, March 14, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

Makes sense y'all! Now it's coming back to me. Word!!!

 
At 1:28 PM, March 14, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes sense y'all! Now it's coming back to me. Word!!!

 
At 3:18 PM, March 18, 2008 , Blogger John In Colorado said...

in one season of road riding in colorado i got more crap from motorists than i did in 20 years of cycling in NM and AZ! this place scares me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home